Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Do you think a single photo has the ability to affect change?

Nick Ut's "Terror of War"

I think photos absolutely have the power to enact change, I think a powerful example of this is Nick Ut's "Terror of War". While there's a lot I could say about this photo and the change it enacted, (I wrote my extended essay on it) I'll keep my report on it's impact brief. Essentially, when this photo first arrived in American living rooms via nightly news reports and newspapers it shocked the public. The already dwindling support for U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War was shaken. The photo depicts a misplaced South Vietnamese napalm strike in which innocent South Vietnamese civilians were the victims. Kim Phuc, the main girl running away, has stripped off her burning clothes as her terrified brother runs towards the camera. This photo acted as a catalyst for social and political change by further confusing the roles of the aggressors and victims for the American public. Politicians leveraged the photo to garner support and funding for hospitals, enacting both social and political change.

No comments:

Post a Comment