Friday, March 4, 2016

Annie Leibovitz

Annie Leibovitz is arguably the most famous photographer alive, she rose to popularity as her work with Rolling Stone became more and more recognized. She eventually, however, switched to Vanity Fair. She is notable for her many beautiful, iconic photos, but also her two definitive styles. The first is her earlier journalistic works and the second her extravagant, rigidly posed work with Vanity Fair and other publications. I personally prefer the more raw and emotive characteristics of her early work with Rolling Stone. While I admire her transition to Vanity Fair and appreciate the beauty of her photos I think her most powerful photos are the more intimate ones. The one that struck me most was the one of John Lennon and Yoko Ono taken hours before his sudden death. 
Annie Leibovitz
I think the raw, intimate nature of this photo makes it stronger than many of her extravagant works. Personally, I'm drawn to raw images that may well be posed but look natural, rather than the obviously posed ones for vanity fair. I like and appreciate both but prefer her work with Rolling Stone.
I think this duality of her photos contributes to her almost universal fame. Partially the fame of her subjects but also the quality of her photos has caused her to be so famous. For example, nearly every photo showed in the film with the exception of her personal photos, I was familiar with, suggesting the wide circulation of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment